Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Twinkle Twinkle Golden Stars

First, I want to apologize for not posting anything for a while. I've been quite busy trying to work "The Man" into a promotion. Its tough work I know. But no more excuses.

On the eve of La Presidente's birthday, I have to share this story. Two years ago I was planning a super secret birthday party for La Presidente. I mean we are talking about quietly planning this party with out her Secret Service finding out about it. I had people coming in from all over the city and from multiple states. Well I knew the only way to make sure she never found out was to get her cronies involved, swearing them to secrecy with the penalty of no booze. They all complied of course. My main partner in the scheme was Mrs. Neighbor from Upstairs, Pre-Batman days. Lets just call her Taters. Since it was La Presidente's golden birthday the party was going to be golden themed. I mean everything gold. Gold booze, "gold" food, gold decorations. I'm mean it was like a scene out of Goldfinger. Anyways, we had to a strict itinerary we had to follow so La Presidente wouldn't have a clue about the huge shindig. First I had to plan a dinner, that I was not attending. Actually, I made Taters plan it because La Pres would catch on pretty quickly if I insisted we go to dinner. So Taters planned the whole dinner. La Pres and her friends had reservations at a hibachi restaurant while Taters and myself prepared Apt 14 for the Golden Hullabaloo. To add to the shock factor, we had Taters call La Pres and tell her she couldn't make it to dinner. Well, that didn't sit too well with La Presidente. She proceeded to start the party at the restaurant...with four bottles of wine with 4 of her friends. Mean while at Apt 14...The preparation continued. People starting showing up, and by people I mean Mr. Taters and Maverick. I freak out because people should have been at the apartment by then. I'm staying in contact with our friend 3L on how dinner was going. Then she sent me the last text I wanted to see, "We are headed back to the apt." That warranted an immediate call, which she took in a discrete place in the restaurant. I made sure she made a detour on the way back as people started showing up. And they did. A few beers, a couple shots, and a 40  later they headed back to the apartment. Ok, you might be thinking why the title of the story is titled "Twinkle, Twinkle, Golden Stars." Well I wasn't kidding when I said we had more gold in the apartment than Ft. Knox. That wasn't enough. Gold plates, gold table cloth, gold cups, gold chains, gold sunglasses, GOLD EVERYTHING. We were about to throw away the last empty bag of from the party supplies, a little glint of gold caught my eye. I was curious to see what I had missed. That was a mistake. It was a small 2x2 inch bag of gold star confetti. I was started sprinkling the stars on the tables full of chips, dip, and other edible gold goodness. That took about two pinches out of the bag. Taters, being the artistic one, took the rest of the bag and started spreading the rest of the bag all of the the carpet, couches, and floors. I tried to stop the madness which was followed by "Don't worry. We can just vacuum this up tomorrow." There was nothing else I could do. La Presidente was on stumbling her way back to the apartment. I got the phone call that they are on their way up the stairs. Lights off. Everyone hides. Door unlocks. SURPRISE!!!! Gold stars everywhere! The party was awesome. Everyone had a great time. However, we had to clean up the disaster. It was like a giant golden tornado blew through the apartment. We mopped. We straightened. We vacuumed. And vacuumed. And vacuum. Those gold stars would not come up out of the carpet. We finally conceded the fact that we were not going to pick up all of the gold stars. Months passed. We still found gold stars. A year passed. We still found gold stars. And even the other day, almost two years to the day, I STILL FIND GOLD STARS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment